Monday, June 9, 2008

Summertime




Long time, no write! School is out.... Summer is here! What's everyone doing with their summer? We just wrapped up a week at cub scout camp. I'm exhausted, but the kids had so much fun. My sister and her kids came down for the week to help out. We were kept quite busy. It was held at Chester Frost Park in Hixson. Luckily, it's just about 5 minutes from the house. They dissected owl pellets, built treasur boxes and bird feeders, raced boats, shot bows and bb guns, played games etc. The theme this year was "local heroes." We had different people come each day and tell us about their jobs. We even had the K-9 unit come. He had a dog named Oobs. The officer hid some marijuana behind a tree and the dog sniffed it out and found it. The kids just thought that was awesome. I was the programs director this year. I'm supposed to be for the next 5 years. You know what?? I kind of missed being a den leader. Yeah, it's great to be able to plan all the activities, but I like getting to know the boys and getting on their level. I was still able to somewhat. There's always that one kids that kind of pulls at your heart. His family didn't come for the closing campfire. They missed his skit and we had to call them to come and pick him up. He wanted to come back the next week. He asked if he could come and live at my house.... Makes me sad. Some days I think I'd really like to be a teacher, but then I think I'd have a hard time not bringing the "work" home with me. Who knows??? Maybe it'll happen.
Jonas was the rangemaster all week. He had the great idea of having the boys try and pop balloons on the target. They just loved it! He left yesterday for Port Orange, Fl to work on a Kohl's dept. store. He'll be gone at least a week. Lucky him gets to spend his evenings on the beach.... Next time he's bringing us along on his "business trip." I'm spending a few days at my mom's. Last week she fell and broke her leg... I guess I get my clumsiness honestly! :^) She's in a hard cast at least 3 more weeks. I came up here for the week. Cole when he first saw her said: "Memaw! You need to watch where you're going!!!!" He's always honest!
Life is good with the Shackleford's. I count my blessings and am grateful for the life I have been given. The boys make me laugh every day. I hope everyone is doing great! Hopefully anohter update will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment