Friday, June 20, 2008

Dixie or Yankee?

Why have I been writing so much lately? Ummm... That would be because my husband has been out of town and I am bored! Something that has aways been a fun topic of conversation for us has been certain words that mean different things in the South. I say that, because I, of course , amd from Baltimore. Yep! I'm a Yankee. Most of the time it's just a civil conversation. Very rarely does it get heated! :^) Here are some examples:

(Yankee) Shopping CART
(Dixie) BUGGY
Last time I checked a buggy was what you put a baby inside of.

(Yankee) A TOBOGGAN is a SLED
(Dixie) A TOBOGGAN is a winter HAT
You should see the looks on people's faces when a Southerner goes up north and asks for a Toboggan and is handed a sled.

(Yankee) GOOSEBUMPS. You know those things to get when you are scared or cold.
(Dixie) CHILLBUMPS. Needs no explanation. That is just weird.

(Yankee) TPing- That would be toiletpapering someone's house. Something I've never been apart of.... :^)
(Dixie) ROLLING- That would be TPing someone's house. :^)

(Yankee) COKE. That would mean COCA COLA and only COCA COLA.
(Dixie) COKE. That would include all soft drinks.
If I want a Coke, I ask for a Coke. If I want a Sprite, I ask for a Sprite. Now doesn't that make sense?

These are just a few. If you think of any I've missed, well then post a comment. They say opposittes attract and I suppose that's true. Jonas and I have a lot of differences, but in the end I think we do well and balance each other out. I've tried to expose the boys to my Northern roots. I've been known to correct them when they start to ask to push the BUGGY at the store. Cole... I believe there is little hope for him. Everything is a Coke. I have to ask... "Now do you want a SPRITE COKE or a COKE COKE?" I loved growing up in Maryland. I have so many memories. I lived there for 17 years of my life. I love living in the South now though. There are so many great things about it. Life is at a slower pace here. You learn to relax and not be in such a rush all of the time. Southern hospitality is real! For the most part people are so friendly. I am thankful to have experienced both.... but for the record, I don't think I'll be calling a hat a TOBOGGAN any time soon. Just sayin. :^)

No comments:

Post a Comment