Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to School





Today was the first day of school. I remember when we used to start the day after Labor day. They start earlier and earlier every year. It was time though. My boys were beginning to be couch potatoes. Honestly, if I had to watch one more episode of Sponge Bob, I think I'd have to do something drastic. We went out on tax free weekend and bought all of the necessities. They got new clothes, new shoes, and all of their supplies. I am beginning to think that the August school preparations are worse than Christmas. It is so expensive. Last night as we put them to bed, they were excited to wake up, meet their new teacher and see their friends. They even woke up EARLY! I give that, oh, about a week. Then I'll be dragging them out of bed and the whining and complaining will begin! I took their pictures before they left. Jeremiah got his taken at his desk. Jonas, being a 4th grader, was too embarrassed. Sigh. I just can't believe I have a 4th grader, a first grader and a preschooler. Time really does fly. It didn't seem like that when I was growing up. I picked them up and both said they had a great day! They liked their teachers and are anxious to go back tomorrow. Jeremiah told me about the fun things in his classroom and Jonas told me that the best part of his day was at recess when he just "talked" to all of his friends. He said they just walked and walked around the track and said what they had been doing all summer. I hope they keep good friends. I recently got reacquainted with an old friend from elementary school thanks to Facebook. We hadn't seen or heard from each other in about 18 years. Isn't that crazy? She has a husband, a daughter and is a journalist. It's been fun to reconnect with her and it has brought back many memories of my school days. I remember a lot about 1st grade and even more about 4th. It's funny to think I have kids that age now and they will one day be looking back on their school days as I am. I hope they continue to make many good choices and in turn have many good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment